Habitat for Humanity Newark provides a hand up, not a hand out, to hard-working families with low incomes who are willing to partner with us as homeowners. Habitat is a partnership between families, volunteers and donors working together to improve the living conditions of families in Newark and Essex County. Habitat homes are affordable due to zero interest mortgages, volunteer labor, and community support.
Habitat Partner Families are carefully selected to ensure that they are well-prepared and qualified for Habitat homeownership. The selection process, building of the home, and sweat equity can take up to 24 months. Please click here to learn more about Habitat’s homeownership program.
Equal Opportunity Housing
Habitat for Humanity Newark is a nonprofit, Christian, ecumenical organization that builds homes in partnership with families in need.
Habitat sells homes at no profit and with a 0% interest mortgage. The mortgage length is usually 20-30 years. Habitat Newark is not a government agency and accepts support from the government only for administrative costs or land development costs.
Funds for home construction are raised in the community.
Criteria Used for Selection of Homeowner Candidates:
• Applicant must currently live in inadequate housing and lack the financial resources to buy housing through conventional means.
• Structural/Mechanical Problems – heating, plumbing and/or electrical
• Safety Issues – crime, fire hazards
• Health Issues – rats, sewage, air quality
• Overcrowding – children of opposite sexes in the same bedroom, not enough bedrooms to sleep all household member