Equal Opportunity Housing
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newark is a nonprofit, Christian, ecumenical organization that builds homes in partnership with families in need.
Habitat sells homes at no profit and with a 0% interest mortgage. The mortgage length is usually 20-30 years. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newark is not a government agency and accepts support from the government only for administrative costs or land development costs.
Funds for home construction are raised in the community.
Criteria Used for Selection of Homeowner Candidates:
- Applicant must currently live in inadequate housing and lack the financial resources to buy housing through conventional means.
- Structural/Mechanical Problems – heating, plumbing and/or electrical
- Safety Issues – crime, fire hazards
- Health Issues – rats, sewage, air quality
- Overcrowding – children of opposite sexes in the same bedroom, not enough bedrooms to sleep all household member